CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Originals

I was speaking with my sister, Kristin, today about original pieces of artwork - not prints, but real paintings. We discussed Monet, Delacroix, Van Gogh, etc. And just like a book is always better than the movie, the original piece of art is always better than the reprints. When I was at The Louvre, I was lucky enough to see my two favorite pieces of art in person. Of course, these images do not do them justice, but here they are:

Raft of the Medusa, by GĂ©ricault


Tomb of Atala, by Girodet


7 comments:

Lisa Christine said...

Whenever I have been at a museum I have always been impressed by how HUGE the paintings are. When you see them in books, or prints of them you never realize that these are enormous works of art.

I am glad that you got to go to the Louvre and see some of your favorites. I still cherish that print that you brought back for me of the mother and daughter. I always picture it as Alexandra and me.

The Donald said...

I have never seen those before. Very cool!

I remember when we called your Hotel in Paris, and Lisa tried to talk French. Good Times.

SuzanSayz said...

I absolutely love real art. If I ever get a chance to go to the Louvre I will have to go alone because I never want to leave the piece I am looking at to go on to the next, and when I do move on it's the same thing all over again. And that is just with the few times I have been to art galleries. I think I might need a whole week to really appreciate a place like the Louvre.

Anonymous said...

Luckly I was not one of the passangers on the Raft of The Medusa. I would have drowned for sure, my inferior swimming abilities would have betrayed me :) Great pieces of art!!

- The foreigner

Lisa Christine said...

This post is from Sept 14...it is now Oct 26th....hint hint....post something :)

David said...

lisa's comment is from oct 26th...it is now march 9...hint hint...post something :)

Lisa Christine said...

I second David's comment......post something :)